Throughout this course, you have studied the major principles, concepts, and learning theories related to the major developmental milestones and stages of development. With this knowledge, you will explore how to integrate the major principles, concepts, and learning theories when determining the appropriate instructional strategies that meet the diverse needs of all students.
For this benchmark assignment, you will complete a summative course assessment consisting of one essay question based on a case study.
Consider the following scenario:
Several students in your fifth grade class are disengaged during math instruction and discussions. One student has an IEP (Individualized Education Program) for ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder), one student has an IEP for dyslexia, one student has an IEP for visual impairment, and one student has severe language development concerns preventing understanding of instructional material.
Citing major concepts, principles, and theories, write a 750-1,000 word essay in which you describe instructional strategies along with the differentiation you would implement that would encourage them to participate and develop more confidence in their abilities.
In your essay, include:
- Strategies that support engagement in the class as a whole, the role of language, and readiness of learning, based on the theories learned in class.
- How you would modify instruction by applying the concepts and theories related to development (cognitive, linguistic, social, emotional, and physical).
- How you will create developmentally appropriate instruction that takes into consideration the students’ strengths, differences, interests, and needs.
- Strategies that can be implemented for motivation and acquisition of knowledge.
- Strategies to provide equitable access for all students to appropriate digital tools and resources.
Support your findings with a minimum of 3-5 scholarly resources.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite.
COE Program Competencies:
- 1.2: Candidates create developmentally appropriate instruction that takes into account individual learners’ strengths, interests, differences, and needs, using instructional strategies that promote students’ learning and individual development, acquisition of knowledge, and motivation. [ACEI 1.0; InTASC 1(b), 1(d), 1(h), 1(i), 2(a), 2(b), 2(f), 2(g), 2(h), 2(l), 2(m), 2(n); MC1]
- 1.1: Candidates design and modify instruction applying the major concepts, principles, theories, and research related to the cognitive, linguistic, social emotional, and physical development of children and young adolescents that supports the role of language and culture in learning, and readiness for learning across performance areas. [ACEI 1.0; InTASC 1(a), 1(e), 1(f), 1(g), 2(c), 2(d), 2(e), 2(g), 2(i), 2(j), 2(k), 2(o); MC1]