The Theoretical Foundation section of a research study is often one of the most challenging components to create. It is informed by the historical context as described in the Background to the Problem section. In this assignment, you will connect the Background to the Problem with theories, models, and concepts to develop the Theoretical Foundation for your research study.
Use the following information to ensure successful completion of the assignment:
- Refer to the Background to the Problem that you submitted as your response to the first discussion question in Topic 5.
- Instructors will be using a grading rubric to grade the assignments. It is recommended that learners review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment in order to become familiar with the assignment criteria and expectations for successful completion of the assignment.
- Doctoral learners are required to use APA style for their writing assignments. The APA Style Guide is located in the Student Success Center.
- You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. Refer to the directions in the Student Success Center.
Locate the Background to the Problem that you submitted as your response to the first discussion question in Topic 5.
Write a draft (750-1,000 words) of the Theoretical Foundation (a theory, model, law, or concept underpinning the study) for your research study. The draft should include the following:
- The study’s problem statement resulting from the defined need or gap. This can be taken from the Background to the Problem section that you drafted earlier.
- A definition and description of each of the theories, models, laws, or concepts that will be the basis for the Theoretical Foundation of the study. Support these ideas with seminal sources.
- The phenomena and research questions (qualitative studies) or the variables and hypotheses (quantitative studies) for the study.
- A discussion of how the theory, model, law, or concept undergirds and connects to the research study.