Community Resource Hunt Scenario
Kevin Mitchell (31) lost his job 2 months ago, and his family has been struggling financially. After their heat was cut off last month, Kevin’s wife, Monica (28), put space heaters throughout the house to keep the family warm. Early this morning, the Mitchell parents woke up to a burning smell in their home. They immediately ran downstairs to their children’s room to check on their boys. On the way there, they noticed that the space heater in the living room had started a fire and most of the room was in flames. Monica grabbed Andrew (3) and Kevin grabbed Matthew (8), and they ran out the back door of the house.
Kevin called 911 once his family was safe. Within minutes, the entire house was engulfed in flames. Their vehicle in the garage created a large explosion and Monica started to become anxious, panicked, and short of breath. Kevin asked her if she had her medication, and she told him it was in the house. Andrew started to cry and scream for his stuffed elephant, which was also in the house. As the fire engines and police cars pulled up to the house, Matthew asked if Benny, their cat, made it out of the house. Kevin and Monica gave each other a serious stare.
As a mobile crisis social worker, you arrive on the scene shortly after the first responders. Your role is to support the Mitchell family and connect them to resources.
1. What are the needs of the Mitchell family, in order of importance?
2. What other information do you feel you need to help the Mitchell family?
3. What specific resources would you provide the Mitchell family to meet these needs? Include as much information about the resource as you can (e.g., services, hours of operation, fees). Keep in mind that the Mitchell family lives in the same city, town, or rural area you plan to practice in!
4. What policies at the national, state, and local level impact the Mitchell family?
5. What challenges or barriers to care might you encounter when assisting the family?