a 6-10 page research paper. This page count does not include images, a cover page, or your works cited.
- Contemporary Asian Art Movements
- Artist biography and overview
- Art and culture along the Silk Road
- Art and Kingship (politics and power; this would include propaganda)
- Select one work of art and write a historiography
- Cultural interplay and exchange (portable objects, diplomatic gifts, or trade items)
- The role of art in religious devotion and ritual
- Art as a tool for cultural normalization and standardization
- Current challenges in Asian Art as a tool for communication Art
- The evolution of an image/motif or iconography within a specific culture (e.g. Buddha in Thailand)
- Destruction of historical artifacts and iconoclastic or political movements
- Regional art, crafts, or ethnic art traditions
Research Paper Formatting Elements
Your paper must follow an established writing style guide like MLA or Chicago.
The paper should be formatted according to academic paper standards and contain the following elements:
- 11- or 12-point font (sans serif, is idea, but not required – suggested fonts are Calibri, Cambria, Times, Arial)
Double spaced with 1-inch or 0.5-inch margins
- In-text citations using End or Footnotes (You must cite your sources, even those you read but are not quoting. These are works referenced and should always be included.
- Bibliographical element (works cited, works referenced, etc.)
- You must use scholarly sources, this means academic, peer-reviewed sources. Websites are insufficient, even if written and maintained by Dr. So-and-So. Peer-review means that other experts in the field have vetted the information and critiqued the veracity of the claims and content.
- Examples of websites that do not count as academic or scholarly sources: Wikipedia, history.com, ancient.eu, quizlet.com, britanica.com, etc.
- Page numbers
- Thesis and at minimum three supports for the argument/thesis statement
- At minimum, five paragraphs, each with sufficient transitions and supporting an element of the thesis
- You must reference works of art, but you do NOT need to include a file of the image (jpeg, etc…) in the paper