For this assignment, you are required to complete a rhetorical analysis of one of the following texts. You should choose just one of these for your rhetorical analysis.
Once you make your decision, you will write a short essay of 800 to 1000 words.
- What is the context for the argument being presented?
- Who is the target audience? How do you know? How does the author appeal to that audience?
- What is the author’s tone of voice in the essay? It is effective? How do you know?
- How does the author appeal to ethos, pathos, and logos? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text.
- How does the author convey their attitude toward the subject at hand in the article?
- How does the author handle opposing views, if applicable?
Ultimately, your goal as a writer in the rhetorical analysis is to make an argument about the effectiveness of the author in the piece. Is the piece effective or ineffective? The questions above will help you support your points.
Please make sure that you quote frequently from the text in support of your argument.