If possible, interview a practicing Jewish individual or a rabbi, which can be used as an academic resource. If you would like to take pictures during your visit to this community or place of worship, be sure to obtain permission.
For this assignment, your role will be as a trainer for Christian colleagues to prepare them for a meeting with members of a Jewish community. You will choose whether they are Orthodox, Conservative, or Reformed. Create a training brochure for your colleagues that can be used as a valuable tool to prepare and inform them for the meeting.
Your training brochure will be comprised of six panels that include the elements listed below. Be sure to include specific examples in points 1-5:
- What are the primary beliefs of the Jewish community you have chosen?
- What are some misunderstandings that Jews have about Christians?
- What are some misunderstandings Christians have about Jews?
- How can a study of Judaism help to overcome those misunderstandings?
- Reflect on several ways in which the contemporary nation-state of Israel may be viewed by various Christian communities. Be sure to use relevant resources to support your claims.
- List the resources used.
Utilize the course textbook and a minimum of three academic resources, one of which can be your interview and should include topic materials and external resources. Be sure to list these resources on the last page of the brochure.