Develop: Persuasive Speech Outline
Evaluation Title: Persuasive Speech Outline Final and Reflection
Using the persuasive outline created for the Unit 6 discussion, review the instructor and/or peer feedback to finalize the persuasive speech outline for submission. Consider this feedback to address your challenges and revise. Revisions are a key step in the speech writing process. Be sure to take this step.
The outline should be written in the full-sentence outline method using one of the persuasive organizational patterns (Problem-Solution, Cause-Effect or Monroe’s Motivated Sequence). The outline should have enough content to deliver an 8-10 minute persuasive speech, which you will complete in Unit 7. Once again, please use the sample outline document (attached here) to help build your formal outline.
Step 1: Finalize the Persuasive Outline
The outline should include the following:
- Specific Purpose
- Central Idea (aka: Thesis Statement or Preview Statement)
- Introduction – capture attention, establish YOUR speaker credibility, preview the speech
- Body – key points (minimum of 3), transitions between main points, supporting materials from at least 3 sources including in-text references to the sources.
- Conclusion – signal the end, summarize main points
- Researched supporting material references (minimum 3) – include works cited at the end of your outline, use APA format.
- Identification of a presentation aid (visual)
- Use persuasive techniques and language
Step 2: Complete the Reflection Questions
Answer the following reflection questions, in addition to the finalized persuasive speech outline. You can include the answers at the end of your works cited:
- What types of persuasion did you choose to include? Why? How would they best persuade your target audience?
- What challenges did you have crafting our outline? How did you overcome them?
- What do you think is the strength of this outline? Why?
Review the grading rubric before submission. This assignment is valued at 85 points.
Submit to the appropriate submission area in Canvas:
- The finalized persuasive speech outline as an attached document
- Answers to reflection questions on the outline document OR in the submission comments area