It is March 2020, and COVID-19 has resulted in lockdowns and stay-at-home orders nationwide. Patients are fearful to visit healthcare offices and hospitals, for routine care or other illnesses. As a result, virtual technologies are introduced to bridge the gap between healthcare needs and an emerging pandemic. Patients are encouraged to schedule visits virtually and seek care in new ways.
While the impacts of COVID-19 in 2020 were immediate, how might these changes influence the capabilities of healthcare beyond a pandemic? How might these changes become permanent or even facilitate further change and innovation?
For this Discussion, you will explore the impact of digital technology on nursing practice. Consider the influence these technologies may have on nursing practice, and what skills you might need to hone in on in order to address these needs.
- Review the Learning Resources for this week and focus on the article, “How COVID-19 Accelerated the Digital Transformation of Healthcare.”
- Reflect on the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on healthcare and nursing practice.
- Consider your nursing background and professional interests as you view the video.
- What potential skills, knowledge, or competencies might you need to develop for your healthcare organization or nursing practice given the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic?
Post a response to your blog describing your own experiences with digital changes and how the COVID-19 has affected your healthcare organization or nursing practice. Address the following:
- Summarize how informatics has impacted or changed nursing practice, especially with the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. Provide an example from your personal or professional experience. Be sure to also include the name of the professional organization you belong to.
- Explain how established informatics competencies may influence quality of care, safety improvements, and any other changes since the pandemic for excellence in nursing practice. Be specific. What would you need to do to develop skills, knowledge, and competencies in order to apply the technology?
- Describe your informatics strengths and preferences, as well as potential challenges and areas for development.
- Do you think the information technology framework discussed in the Ye, et al. (2020) article is applicable in the U.S. to manage COVID and other major pandemics? How much of what is discussed do we currently use?
- Describe one strategy for enhancing and updating your project management and informatics skills and competencies.