Activity Instructions: Image Ad
Cut out a self-identity image ad (as defined in Beauchamp & Bowie, pp. 417-426) from a full-color magazine. Prepare a 3-page written analysis of the ad, addressing the following issues. Submit the ad, in addition to your 3-page analysis, for grading.
1. Why is this advertisement characterized as an image ad?
2. Does the ad imply any false promises?
3. Identify the underlying presuppositions of the ad.
4. What is your assessment of the cumulative effect of the ad on an individual’s self- identity?
5. Identify the viewer gaze and the implied gaze of the ad.
6. Discuss the ethical and autonomy issues of the ad.
7. Give your personal opinion of the ad and its impact on you.
You may not use an ad from any of the companies mentioned in the article Is Self-Identity Image Advertising Ethical? You may, however, use these as process guides in your own analysis. Your Activity responses should be both grammatically and mechanically correct, and formatted in the same fashion as the Activity itself. If there is a Part A, your response should identify a Part A, etc. In addition, you must appropriately cite all resources used in your response and document in a bibliography using APA style. (125 points) (A 3-page analysis is required.)