Week 3 6446 Fears and Phobias
You must use the Readings here
· Burnham, J. J. (2009). Contemporary fears of children and adolescents: Coping and resiliency in the 21st century. Journal of Counseling and Development, 87(1), 28–35.
· Flatt, N., & King, N. (2008). Building the case for brief psychointerventions in the treatment of specific phobias in children and adolescents. Behaviour Change, 25(4), 191–200.
· Liberman, L. C., & Öst, L. G. (2016). The relation between fears and anxiety in children with specific phobia and parental fears and anxiety. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 25(2), 598-606.
· Kane, E. J., Braunstein, K., Ollendick, T. H., & Muris, P. (2015). Relations of anxiety sensitivity, control beliefs, and maternal over- control to fears in clinic-referred children with specific
phobia. Journal of child and family studies, 24(7), 2127-2134.
· Document: DSM-5 Bridge Document: Fears and Phobias (PDF)
· Boyatzis, C. J., & Junn, E. N. (2016). Annual editions: Child growth and development (22nd ed.). McGraw-Hill Education. o Lee, P. C., “The Human Child’s Nature Orientation” (p.
· Document: Child and Adolescent Counseling Cases: Fears and Phobias (PDF)
· Document: Treatment Plan Guidelines: Fears and Phobias (PDF)
Fears, Phobias, and Anxiety
· a brief description of a common child or adolescent fear or phobia other than fear of the dark. Then, explain at least three contemporary factors (environment, culture, society, family, or media) that may contribute to the development and persistence of the phobia and explain how. Finally, explain one way you might help the parents/guardians support their child or adolescent to overcome the fear or phobia and explain how. Be specific.
· Be sure to support your postings and responses with specific references to the week’s resources.