Case: The Ring of Gyges
What would you do with the power of invisibility? Would you spy on your favorite celebrity, pull pranks, or sneak into movies? Would you rob banks, harm your enemies, or commit murder? Where would it end? In this discussion, you will explore ideas of ethical self-governance and the responsibility of leaders. These are considerations you can apply in your future career should you ever find yourself in a position with unchecked power. To complete this discussion, first, read pages 3–6 in The Ring of Gyges, then, for your initial post, address all of the following questions in 1–2 sentences each:
- What would you do if you had the ring?
- What do you think most people would do with the ring?
- What criteria would you use to determine ethical and unethical uses for the ring? How would you control your own behavior with the knowledge that you can’t get caught and there would be no lawful consequences?
- It could be said that leaders today have the power of the ring to hide information from the public. Is this a good or bad thing? Why?
Your active participation in the discussion forums is essential to your overall success. Discussion questions are designed to help you make meaningful connections between the course content and the larger concepts and goals of the course. These discussions offer you the opportunity to express your own thoughts, ask questions for clarification, and gain insight from your classmates’ responses and instructor’s guidance.
Requirements for Discussion Board Assignments
Students are required to post one (1) initial post due by day three (3) (unless otherwise noted by the instructor) and to follow up with at least two (2) response posts by day seven (7) for each discussion board assignment. Please be sure to post on at least two separate days.
For your initial post (1), you must do the following:
● Compose a post of one to two paragraphs.
● Take into consideration material such as course content and other discussion boards from the current module and previous modules, when appropriate (make sure you are using proper citation methods when referencing scholarly or popular resources).