Discuss your experiences/research with policies implemented to protect vulnerable populations such as patients with mental illness. How does the mental health Parity Act of 2008 improve mental health services? Describe ethics as it relates to vulnerable populations and you as a healthcare professional. Include values, beliefs, and laws in your discussions.
Global Health, Policy, and the Future
This assignment will be a 5 to 7-minute video or audio embedded in a PowerPoint presentation.
In the Learning Materials under Additional Resources Review:
1. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine (2017). Global health and the future role of the United States. -> Review TABLE S-1 Committee Recommendations and Corresponding Actions on page 3 (these come from the global health report and are global recommendations) and the four Priority Areas for Action starting on page 4 that further explain the 14 Recommendations in TABLE S-1.
2. The Sustainable Development Goals (SDG)
*Select and review ONE of the 14 Recommendations OR an SDG that align with your interests or one you feel passionate about that could significantly improve global health.
Consider what steps healthcare professionals can take to advocate for vulnerable people at a global level.
This assignment will require you to create a 5 to 7-minute video or audio recording in a PowerPoint presentation.
Reflect on global issues in healthcare and address the following in your presentation:
- Briefly describe the selected global recommendation or SDG and the identified vulnerable population
- Analyze current healthcare policies that impact your selected global recommendation or SDG
- Explain the reason you selected the global recommendation or SDG and why it is relevant to the vulnerable population.
- Discuss why the global recommendation you selected should be implemented or the SDG you selected should be achieved, including why there should be funding to implement the global recommendation or SDG.
Length: 5 to 7 minute video presentation (mp4 format) with slide presentation
Structure: Include a title, objectives, and reference slides in APA format. Your presentation must include an introduction and a conclusion.
References: Use the appropriate APA style in-text citations and references for all resources utilized to answer the questions. A minimum of three (3) scholarly sources are required for this assignment.
Format: Save your assignment as an mp4 file.
This week’s learning material
- Nickitas, D. M., Middaugh, D. J., & Feeg, M. D. (2019). Policy and politics for nurses and other health professionals: Advocacy and action. (3rd ed.). Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett Publishers. Read Chapters 5 & 6.
- Almazeedi, H., & Alsuwaidan, M. T. (2014). “Integrating Kuwait’s Mental Health System to end stigma: a call to action.” Journal of Mental Health, 23(1), 1–3.
- Hall-Clifford, R., Addiss, D. G., Cook-Deegan, R., & Lavery, J. V. (2019). Global Health Fieldwork Ethics: Mapping the Challenges. Health & Human Rights: An International Journal, 21(1), 1–5.
- Mental Illness Will Cost the World $16 USD Trillion by 2030. (2018). Psychiatric Times, 35(11), 18F–18H.
- National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine (2017). Global health and the future role of the United States. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. (Click on the link to download Global Health and the Future Role of the United States. You do not need to purchase this book. Once you access the website, look on the far right and click on “Download this PDF” for your free copy, or click “Read Online” to read without downloading).
- United Nations. (n.d.). Sustainable development goals – Goal 3: Good health and well-being.
- United Nations Developmental Programme. (n.d.). Sustainable development goals.
Considering the various learning styles and education levels of your selected community, explain your selection of teaching materials. How do they cater to or possibly impede the audience’s receptivity to the shared health education information?
Your initial posting should be 400 words in length and utilize at least one scholarly source other than the textbook.
- Practice Hours: each module has a minimum required practice hours related to your work on the main education project. Practice hours relate to time spent on project work (Discussion Board work does not apply). Document your hours for Module 5 in Project Concert. Access Project Concert. You should have an estimated 10-15 hours for this module. Minimum required hours must be entered into Project Concert for Module 5. Some states/entities require hour logs for certification or employment. It is the student’s professional responsibility to ensure all hours are entered correctly in order to meet these requirements. Please see the Project Concert directions document in the Learning Materials on how to enter hours.
- Create an infographic teaching tool for the community educational project. View these links on how to create infographics:
Submit an 8 X 11.5 color (one page Word or pdf. document) infographic teaching tool for your chosen community. Please also submit a reference page in APA format with at least two references you used as sources for the information on the infographic.