Assignment 3: Philosophical and Practical Approach for Balancing Issues
Due Week 10 and worth 200 points
Before writing your position statement on Philosophical and Practical Approach for Balancing Issues, you should read Chapters 1 through11 in your textbook. Then, research at least three (3) peer-reviewed articles about individual rights, morality, ethics, individual rights, duty, or codes of conduct for criminal justice professionals.
Write a three to five (3-5) page paper in which you:
1. Create a philosophy and approach for balancing the issues of individual rights and the public’s protection. Provide one to two (1 to 2) examples illustrating how you will balance the two issues in your own career in law enforcement.
2. Determine a philosophy and approach for balancing the use of reward and punishment in criminal justice. Provide one to two (1-2) examples illustrating how you will use this philosophy in your own career.
3. Select a philosophy and approach that addresses the use of immoral means (e.g., torture or lying in interrogation) to accomplish desirable ends. Provide one to two (1-2) examples illustrating how you will use this philosophy in your own career.
4. Explain what you believe the Ethics of Care and Peacemaking Criminology presented in your textbook should mean for law enforcement professionals.
5. Support your position statement with three (3) relevant and credible references, documented according to latest edition of APA. (Note: Do not use open source sites such as Ask.com, eHow.com, Answers.com, and Wikipedia.)
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA format (latest edition). Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page developed in accordance with the latest edition of APA, including a running head, page number, the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page, revision of the previous assignment, and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Analyze the issues pertinent to codes of conduct and / or the ethics of duty.
- Recommend ways to use ethics to improve decision making in the criminal justice system.
- Analyze various philosophical approaches for ethical decision making, and the effectiveness and limits of each approach for making ethical choices.
- Analyze the ethical issues involved with balancing means and ends in the criminal justice field.
- Examine the key elements of virtue and character.
- Examine reasons for and effective ways to apply critical ethical thinking to criminal justice issues.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in ethics and leadership in criminal justice.
- Write clearly and concisely about ethics and leadership in criminal justice using proper writing mechanics.
Assignment 2: It May Not Work in Politics
Due Week 10 and worth 225 points
Write a three to four (3-4) page paper in which the student addresses the following three (3) items using headers to separate each response:
- Congressional Ethics: Identify one (1) member of Congress who has been charged with ethics violations in the past 2 years (include the date). Briefly discuss the reason for the charges and provide two (2) reasons why you agree or disagree with the verdict and any penalties. Provide examples to support your answer. Consider how the verdict and penalties impacts your trust of the members of Congress.
- Third Party Candidates: Discuss two (2) political reasons why a third party candidate has never been successful in winning a presidential election. Provide examples to support the answer. Consider the political impact of the Republican and Democratic Party if a third party was successful.
- Federal and State Authority: Identify one (1) current issue facing the United States today (from the past 6 months). Analyze the respective roles of federal and state authorities in addressing the issue. Determine whether the U.S. Constitution constrains the federal and state responses to the issue. Explain.
In your research, you cannot use Wikipedia, online dictionaries, Sparknotes, Cliffnotes, or any other Website do that do not qualify as an academic resource.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are to:
- Identify informed opinions on issues and questions involving the U.S. government, national political processes, policy making, and the notion of democracy.
- Employ terminology used to study political science and American government.
- Develop reasoned written and spoken presentations on issues and questions involving the U.S. government and national political processes using information in the course.
- Describe the basic values of American political culture.
- Explain how the federal system of government works.
- Explore different perspectives on issues and questions about the U.S. government and national political processes.
- Describe the importance of an informed, effective citizenship for the national government and political processes.
- Use concepts from our study of U.S. national government and politics (such as models of democracy) to discuss government and politics in state, local, and international contexts.
- Examine the evolution of presidential power in military affairs.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in the field of U.S. government and politics.
- Write clearly and concisely about U.S. government and politics using proper writing mechanics.
These are 2 different assignments. Please label them accordingly or put in separate documents.